Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Navigation
StuAct Online General
Can you tell me more about concessions?
Recognized organizations may have concessions permits for 5 days per month. These forms are available at the concessions desk in Koldus as well as online at the student activities website.
Can you tell me more about sandwich boards?
Sandwich boards are free-standing, temporary signs that contain advertising messages. Generally, a permit is not required for the placement of sandwich boards in traditional and designated public forums as defined by Student Rules. For guidelines regarding sandwich boards can be found on the student activities website.
How do I access my organization account?
Along with the launch of the new StuAct Online, we made many improvements to the recognition process for student organizations, including the ability to manage all of your student organizations with your NetID rather than separate passwords for each group.

Because our old system did not track the NetIDs of all officers and advisors in the organization, you must now associate your NetID with your organization. This is a simple process and can be completed by logging in to StuAct Online, clicking "Add Organization" on the homepage and following the steps.
The StuAct Online system sent me an e-mail, but I am no longer associated with my organization. How can I stop receiving these e-mails?
You are receiving an e-mail from the StuAct Online system because you are the most recent person listed in your position according to our system.

If your position still exists within the organization and someone else has filled it, they must associate their NetIDs with the organization to update our database. Once the position has been filled again, you will no longer receive e-mails.

If your position no longer exists within the organization (such as Secondary Advisor or Batch Processor), contact us to have your e-mail address removed from the system manually.
Who can see the information posted on my Personal Profile?
The information posted on your personal profile is considered "protected" information, and is only visible by members of the Department of Student Activities staff and officers/advisors of any group with which your account is associated. The general public can not see any of this information, and organizations can only see a limited portion of it.
How do I associate my NetID with an organization?
To associate your NetID with an organization, visit the StuAct Online homepage, log in, click the "Add Organization" button and follow the steps.

Completing this process sends a request to the organization's leader or advisors for approval. Once the request has been approved, you will be notified via e-mail, and the organization will be listed under the "My Student Organizations" area of the homepage when you log in again.
Why does my profile have my "" e-mail address listed as the primary e-mail?
All students, faculty, and staff on campus have an e-mail address ending in "". If you have not changed your settings at, this address will always forward to your "" e-mail address.

We do not allow external addresses (such as "" or "") to be your primary e-mail because there is a much lower chance of important system messages reaching you; however, if you are a faculty or staff member and use a different on-campus e-mail address as your primary point of contact (such as ""), contact us at the e-mail address listed at the bottom of the page and we will change your primary e-mail in our system accordingly.
Organizations - Recognition
What do the various status names mean?
•Recognized: The organization meets all current requirements for recognition and can operate without restrictions.
•Renewing Recognition: The organization recently switched between two recognition cycles, and is renewing its original recognition requirements. During this time, the organization can continue to operate without restrictions, but must renew its requirements before becoming restricted.
•Pending Recognition: The organization just started the recognition process for the first time. The organization can operate completely, but must meet the recognition requirements before becoming restricted.
•Recognized with Restrictions: The organization is still considered active, but has failed to meet all necessary organizational standards and is limited in its ability to utilize campus resources. If the organization remains restricted for too long, it will become suspended and will no longer be considered active. AND/OR The organization is no longer recognized by the University, but is allowed to request renewal. If one of the group's representatives does not request the renewal of the organization in the near future, the organization will lose its chance for renewal.
•Not Recognized: The organization is no longer recognized by the University, nor is it considered an operating organization. As there is no longer a potential for renewal, the organization is defunct and exists only in StuAct Online for archival purposes
What is the difference between a sponsored, affiliated and registered group?
The categorization of organizations is based on their relationship to the university, the scope of its activities, and the known and perceived risks associated with these activities. The more closely aligned the organization is to the university and its mission, the higher the categorization (sponsored, affiliated, registered).

If I was the treasurer for my organization last year, do I still have to take the SOFC online quiz?
Yes. The online fiscal quiz must be completed annually within the recognition cycle for your organization.
If I am one of these New Student Organizations that has not received approval to initiate, will I receive credit for this seminar? What are my next steps?
Only organizations who have been approved to initiate may receive credit for the seminars. Credit will be given to officers. Once the organization is approved and the officers are listed on the organizations profile, then the organization will receive the credit from the officers training.
My advisor is out of town, on vacation, on sabbatical and she/he is unable to access StuAct Online. What do we do?
If your advisor cannot complete their online requirements by the deadline, your organization will be placed on restricted status until the requirements are completed. Once complete, the restriction will be lifted.
Where can I take my officer training
Currently, all training can be online. First make sure you are logged into StuAct. Click on the profile button next to your name in the top left corner. Click on the training tab to access the training modules.

For registered organizations, officers need only to take the officer essentials modules and advisors only need to take advisor essentials module.

For affiliated organizations, officers need to take the officer essentials and 2 additional modules and advisors need to take advisor essentials and 2 additional modules

For sponsored organizations, officers need to take the officer essentials and 4 additional modules and advisors need to take advisor essentials and 4 additional modules
Why do we have to turn in a constitution every year? Cant you just use the old one from last year?
A new copy of the constitution is required as part of the recognition process annually so that it can be reviewed by the Department of Student Activities staff (per Student Rule 41). Because requirements can change it is important to have a new constitution on file.
If I am in the midst of moving and my address/phone number will be changing. Which address do I put down?
If you know your new address/phone number, please use that information. If this is not known you may use your current address/phone number but this information should be updated online as soon as you have new information.
How do I update the signature card?
A new signature card can be created at Student Activities Online. The new signature card will replace the existing one. The treasurer, chief student leader and the advisor must complete the information and sign the new signature card; additional officers can be added. The online information must be changed to reflect the changes, and the new signature card should be turned in to the Student Organization Financial Center.
In terms of primary advisor and secondary advisor, what are the difference between them?
Primary advisors are the organizations first contact for guidance and will oversee the finances of the organization (i.e., signing for expenditures and receiving financial statements). The secondary advisor serves as back up for the primary advisor. A secondary advisor is not required to become recognized.
What happens if I dont complete the recognition process by the deadline?
If the recognition process is not completed by the deadline, your organization will be placed on restricted status. This means you will not be allowed to operate until the process is completed.
Where do I find out when the Officer Orientation Seminars are available?
All seminars are now available online. If you cannot complete an online training please contact Recognition at 979-458-4371 or
If I am the president of multiple organizations. Do I need to attend another officer orientation seminar for each group I'm the president for?
No. You need to only attend once, and you will receive credit for attending the training. Every organization you are an officer for will receive credit for your training as long as you are listed as an officer on the organization's profile.
If I need to make changes to my constitution during the year after we are recognized, how would I do that?
Simply submit the revised constitution online at the Student Activities website and we will review it for any corrections.
Why do you want my neo email address?
Your NEO address is the best means of communication for us to use since all students are required to have a neo account. It also allows us to send information you to you in an secure manner.
What if I don't check my email at my neo address?
Your neo account can be set up to automatically forward messages to other email addresses.
Can we put our SS# instead of our UIN?
For the safety of your identity, only the UIN number will be accepted.
Can I still hold office if my GPR is not at the required level? If I have an extenuating circumstance, is there an appeal process?
No. Student leaders are required by university student rules to maintain a 2.0 cumulative and semester GPR prior to election and for each term in office. Grade appeal exemptions may be granted with extenuating circumstances. This appeal application can be found at
How are grade checks conducted?
Grade checks are conducted once the individuals request to be officers within the organization. The online system checks the individuals automatically and will not allow them to identify as an officer if they do not meet the grade requirements.

When do all of these requirements have to be completed?
All requirements of the recognition process must be complete by the end of the 40 day recognition cycle for your organization.
We have a new advisor to our organization. Will they need to complete the training for the advisor development seminar?
Yes. The new advisor must complete the online advisor development seminar.
We will be getting a new advisor for our group. Should we get the old advisor to sign until we can get the new advisor�s signature?
Yes. Until the requirements for the new advisor have been completed, the old advisor can still sign for the organization. If the old advisor is not available, however, you can take financial transactions to the SOFC. They have a procedure in place to help in these situations.

How long does it take for us to become recognized?
There are many variables in the recognition process but the set deadline to become recognized is 60 days from the beginning of your organizations recognition cycle.
How do I remove myself from an organization?
You cannot remove yourself from an organization. Someone in a position above yours must remove you from the organization. For general officer positions, the Chief Student Leader or Treasurer can remove you; for Chief Student Leaders or Treasurers, your organization's advisor(s) can remove you; for advisors, the Department of Student Activities must remove you.
One of my organization's officers requested to join the organization, but I do not see the request when I log in.
Only requests you can approve are shown to you when you view an organization's profile. Requests can be approved by the following users:
- Advisor requests must be approved by the Department of Student Activities.
- Chief Student Leader and Treasurer requests must be approved by the organization's advisors.
- All other positions can be approved by the Chief Student Leader, Treasurer, or advisors.
I have completed a requirement for recognition, but it has not been reflected on my organization's Recognition Checklist yet.
Because the StuAct Online system examines your organization's profile for any changes every few hours, it could take up to a day for changes to post to your organization's Recognition Checklist. Some requirements are subject to departmental approval (such as the constitution and signature card), and therefore can take longer to be met.

If your organization is about to become restricted or suspended but you have already completed all of the requirements involved, contact us immediately and we can resolve the issue.
If my current advisor is leaving, how do I replace her/him with a new advisor?
You will first need to identify who the new advisor will be. Once identified, the new advisor will log on to StuAct Online with their NetID and password to set up their personal profile. Once the profile is completed, the new advisor will use the "add an organization" feature to request the position with your organization. Once the request is submitted and they are approved by Student Activities, they will replace the outgoing advisor on the roster, and they will have access to their advisor training and signature card.

I took the officer/advisor essentials training, but StuAct does not show that I have credit. Why might this happen?
Check to make sure you have taken the appropriate number of trainings that corresponds with your organization's classification.

For registered organizations, officers need only to take the officer essentials modules and advisors only need to take advisor essentials module.

For affiliated organizations, officers need to take the officer essentials and 2 additional modules and advisors need to take advisor essentials and 2 additional modules.

For sponsored organizations, officers need to take the officer essentials and 4 additional modules and advisors need to take advisor essentials and 4 additional modules.
Organizations - Rosters
Organizations - Finances (SOFC)
What type of account do I have?
A recognized student organization can have a cash account, a fiscal account, or both.

CASH accounts are defined as those accounts that have funds on deposit from club activities, usually in the form of dues, car washes, T-Shirt sales, etc., and begin with the number 9.

FISCAL accounts are defined as those accounts that receive any money in support of an activity sponsored under the name of Texas A&M University. Only a few recognized student organizations will have a fiscal account. These accounts are usually administered through the organization's advisor's department

The SOFC has the authority to raise questions to Student Activities about whether an organization should operate as a recognized student organization or through a TAMU Department.
How do I create a subaccount?
Sub accounts may be created to assist an organization in their budgeting process.

Example: An organization named Aggies for Sub accounts wishes to raise funds for a trip they will be taking later in the year.

To separate money from the organization�s operating budget, a sub account may be created. The number of sub accounts created is unlimited but the organization should carefully consider this option. To use these funds, include the sub account number on the form submitted.

To create a sub account, present a signed letter from the organization�s advisor to the SOFC. Include the following information in the letter:

� Organization�s Account Number (Example: 942000)

� Organization�s Name (Example: Aggies for Sub accounts)

� Name of the new sub account (Example: Aggies for Sub accounts � London Trip)

The new account will appear as such: 942000-20000. The main account will become 10000 and the organization will no longer use the 00000 sub account.

How do i prepare receipts?

� Documents must be submitted by 3:30 pm for a check to be available the next day. Anything received after 3:30 will be considered next day business.

� Do not use gel pens or colored markers. Gel pens or markers do not always image clearly.

� Use a standard black or blue pen when writing on invoices or receipts.

� Do not highlight any information on documents, instead circle it. Highlighting appears as a black line when imaged.

� Do not cover up any information on the invoice.

� Do not write or stamp over receipt or invoice information. Include additional information beside the receipt or invoice.

� Do not fold any receipts because amounts may not appear on imaging. Receipts (ex: grocery receipts) larger than an 8 � x 11 sheet may be cut to fit. Multiple pages can be used. For receipts or invoices smaller than half of a normal sheet of paper, tape down to a white sheet of paper. If using white recycled paper, X out the reverse side information that does not need to be imaged.

� Do not to tape over any amounts on the documents. Clear tape can cause the ink to disappear and the information is lost.

� Do not write on the backs of receipts/invoices. If two sided, please make a copy and attach.

� When making multiple payments on one invoice, you must include a copy of the invoice for each separate payment.

� Be sure that all information is legible and completely itemized.

� Receipts should always be originals and unaltered.

Who can conduct a raffle?
Two types of student oragnizations may conduct raffles:

An association organized primarily for religious purposes that has been in existence in Texas for at least 10 years..


An organization which has obtained federal tax exemption status under 501(c), Internal Revenue Code, has existed for at least 3 preceding years, has a governing body duly elected by its member and exists solely for a specific charitable purpose.
My organization awards scholarships. What kind of back up do we need to award scholarships?
The SOFC has a form that may be used when paying Scholarships, Awards or Donations. Complete this form and attach to a Check Request Form. The SOFC will also accept a signed letter from the advisor of the organization. It should state that no service was provided in exchange for this payment. A scholarship is considered �income� therefore we will need the person�s social security number and permanent address. If the recipient is not an employee or student of TAMU, a W-9 is required. A scholarship is not taxable to the extent that it is used exclusively for required expenses to be enrolled in the educational institution. If the person receiving the scholarship is a TAMU student the check will be issued as payable to the student and TAMU. The student must present the check to Student Financial Aid in the Pavilion, Second Floor. When SFA has cleared the check, the student will be able to utilize the funds.
Why is there a one-day turn around for checks?
The SOFC uses Texas A&M University�s financial software, FAMIS. The business day closes at 5:20 p.m. and the daily transactions post to the system. This is why checks cannot print, deposits cannot be seen in your account, and updates cannot be seen until the next business day.
Why does money have to be deposited within 24 hours?
Per, TAMU System Regulation 21.01.02 paragraph 4.1 and Texas Education Code 51.003, deposits shall be deposited daily.
Why can�t we have an off campus bank account?
The decision was made to make banking on campus a requirement because of the number of student organizations that did not pay their bills to businesses in the area. The local businesses would try to collect from Texas A&M University and could not see a difference between TAMU and student organizations.
Can my organization become non-profit; how do we do this?
To find out if your organization qualifies for non-profit status you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service. The 501 (C)(3) packet is the non-profit paperwork you will need to complete. You can call 1-800-829-3676 or 1-800-829-1040 for more information on non-profit questions.
Can I be reimbursed if my advisor writes a letter saying I spent the money for one of our organizational projects?
No. You must have a receipt to be reimbursed. The SOFC suggests that all members of your organization, planning to be reimbursed, pay with a check or credit card. If they pay using cash and lose the receipt, they will not be able to be reimbursed, even if your advisor writes a letter saying the receipt was lost. Remember that we can use a canceled check or a credit card receipt to do a reimbursement.
Why is it necessary to know your SOFC account number?
All transactions and records are filed and accessed using the organization�s account number.
Where may I find my organization�s Federal ID number?
The SOFC does not keep this information. We recommend that once the IRS assigns this number, the SS-4, be kept with the organizations records in the advisor�s office.
When should an officer or advisor sign Request Forms?
Some organizations set up weekly meetings with their advisor to discuss organization business. SOFC forms should be signed only after all the required fields have been completed. Signing blank forms is like signing blank checks.
How does FAMIS record income and expenses?
FAMIS uses object codes to categorize income and expenses. This process provides for good record keeping and budget analysis. This is why it is very important to code items correctly.
How do you obtain Signatures from Student Activities Staff?
There are several incidences when a signature from The Department of Student Activities is required on financial documents.

� When a student leader that is listed on the signature card is unavailable or ineligible to sign the document.

� When a primary or secondary advisor is unavailable or ineligible to sign the document.

� When the document exceeds $2,500.

To obtain a signature from The Department of Student Activities, submit the request to the SOFC. A Signature Request Form will be completed and attached to the request. The information needed on this form is:

� Organization Name
� Organization Account Number
� Type of Form (Check Request, On Campus Approval to Charge, Fiscal Request)
� Amount of document
� Reason signature is requested (listed above)
� Name of person requesting the signature
� Phone number of person requesting the signature

Processing time may exceed 24 hours.
What happens to Cash Advances that are not reconciled?
If the Advance is not reconciled within 5 days, the organization�s account will be frozen and the organization will be put on restricted status with the Department of Student Activities. When the Advance is not reconciled after 90 days, the cash will be considered as income to the individual that has signed for it. The individual will be responsible for any income taxes related to the transaction and it will be reported to the IRS on either Form 1099 or W-2.
Are scratch-outs permitted on Forms?
Alterations are not permitted to increase the value of financial forms or to change the Payee name. The advisor�s signature must be adjacent to each change.
Forms with white out will not be accepted.
Are scholarships taxable?
A scholarship is considered �income� and may be taxable to the individual. It is not taxable to the extent that it is used exclusively for required expenses to be enrolled in the educational institution.
What happens if the invoice exceeds the estimate on the On Campus Approval to Charge Form?
Should the invoice exceed the original On-Campus Approval to Charge form, the SOFC will notify the advisor by email up to two times requesting approval for the increase. If no reply is received, the SOFC will call up to two times. If still no response, the Business Coordinator will approve payment for the full amount of the invoice.
Organizations - Web/E-mail (IT)
What languages/database types are allowed on your servers?
All student organization sites are now powered by the Drupal content management system. Drupal is built with PHP and MySQL, and supports a wide variety of modules and themes to extend its functionality. You can install any of these modules or themes, provided that they are compatible with our version of Drupal and are in the format provided by the Drupal homepage (.tar.gz).

If you have any other questions about your web hosting options, please contact us.
How much space can my organization use on your server?
The maximum storage for all student organization web sites and e-mail accounts is 200MB. Organizations hosted on our department's cPanel servers can view their current storage use at any time by logging in to the cPanel console from the Web/E-mail Accounts page of their organization's profile.

If your organization intends to host files that will exceed the 200MB quota, and these files serve a purpose consistent with your organization's mission and all relevant policies, contact us to inquire about a quota increase.
I have a listserv whose address ends in "". Who do I contact regarding this?
Both the Department of Student Activities and Texas A&M's Central Information Services (CIS) provide mailing list (or listserv) services to student organizations.

If your listserv's e-mail address ends in, your mailing list is managed by CIS. Contact Help Desk Central (HDC) at 845-8300 for any questions.